Monday, January 12, 2009

Scrabblemania

Most Chicago boomers remember a time when there were only four channels to choose from on tv:  2, 5, 7 and 9.  Channel 11 (in pre-Sesame Street days) was selected on the odd chance there was something other than Julia Child or a war documentary and you were desperate to watch anything.  Sure, we watched a lot of tv - but there were many times when there was nothing that caught our interest and we simply found other ways to entertain ourselves.

Aside from playing outside or making up games (that is worth a post unto itself) we enjoyed cards and board games like Candyland, Clue and Monopoly. We also really got into Landslide! - a game on the election of the president and fighting over electoral votes.  But for some reason, we didn't get into Scrabble.  We had the game somewhere in the house but no doubt half the tiles  would be missing whenever someone suggested we play - something we always blamed on younger siblings.  Even as I grew older and had children of my own, Scrabble was always outvoted in favor of Pictionary, Bogle or Trivial Pursuit.

I've had an iPhone for almost a year and as soon as I found out I could play Scrabble on it, I bought the application.  I have to admit, I thought I knew all the nuances of the game, but quickly found (after losing five straight games to this mini-computer) that you should look for opportunities for triple count words, finding two or even three word combinations and chances to exchange letters.

Little by little, my scores were getting larger, so I knew I was getting better - even if I continued to lose.  But I've had a few instances of my words being turned down by the Scrabble Dictionary and it has really ticked me off.  Words like 'swinger,' 'peonie' (one of my favorite flowers; it has to be spelled as 'peony') and 'ying' (when they do accept 'yang') were all disallowed.  'Ying' really got me mad - it would have been worth 43 points!

Playing a quick game helps pass the time while waiting for the train to arrive as I stand in the station in the morning, while waiting for the oven to preheat before putting in the meatloaf or sitting in the doctor's office.  However, the addictive quality of Scrabble on the iPhone and your circumstances should definitely be considered before starting a new game.  Riding home on the train, I could easily end up near the Wisconsin border before realizing I've missed my stop.  The onions sauteing on the stove could turn black before the smell brings me to my senses.  I could spend a whole lunch hour playing without eating a bite.

Also consider your surroundings. There are the comments you might make, not realizing you've said them aloud, when your computer opponent uses that "j" in a triple count word, just before you got the last tile to spell out 'justify.'  It's not pretty.

I read somewhere that doing word games helps keep the mind sharp and fends off dementia as we get older.  Scrabble, along with my affinity for crossword puzzles, might also help me lose weight - that is, if I spend anymore lunch hours without eating or nuke anymore dinners.

No comments: